11 Feb 2013

Making bald beautiful and finding a use for a hairbrush when you have no hair...

Good news. I am feeling MUCH better!! I have had a very eventful week. On Tuesday I ended up in hospital with a temperature and chest pains. After an X-ray and some uber-fun blood tests I was given some antibiotics and pain killers and sent on my way. 


 
With Madre in London it was Lucy and Caitin's turn to play nurse. And what a good job they did! With a bit of TLC I was feeling much better by Friday. I got to see Snoop Doggy Rob and Jane for lunch on Wednesday. He bought me a life time supply of peas and my eagerly awaited banana loaf (which by the way was DELICIOUS thank you Jane). I even managed a lovely walk with a friend on Thursday.

I have eaten some YUMMY healthy food this week...



I made the fruit salad. Unfortunately I cannot claim to have cooked the rest.!

As i'm sure you all know by now, I have no hair. Yes that's right I am a baldy. However to my great relief, I have now discovered that my greatest fear of looking like Dappy from N-Dubz was in fact just a fear and not a reality. (Phew *que happy dance). Now that I am feeling better, this weekend has been all about embracing my new look. As you can imagine it's quite difficult to know how to dress with no hair. It's weird not to have it hanging around my shoulders. My neck and head are surprisingly cold. But my biggest hurdle has been that having no hair makes me look more unwell. However, I don't want to look like a poorly person when I go out for lunch or to see friends! So I've been working on my chemo chic.



What do you think?

I added a scarf to keep me warm and a fun t-shirt to distract away from the obvious head with no hair covered by a hat look.  Also after much research, I have discovered when you wear shoes as great as the red boots, no one cares about the bald head. I went to M and S before my oncology appointment on Friday and to my great surprise, strangers rarely took notice of my head. The truth is, very few people even looked twice at it. One woman in the queue at the check out sort of smiled at me weirdly but that was it. In general people cared a whole lot less than I expected. 

As well as fashioning a new look I've also been working on my make up. How to disguise the extremes of face colour I seem to go through. I'm either bright red in the face from the steroids I'm taking, or deathly pale from my lack of immune system and now that I am feeling better, I have started to care a whole lot more about my appearance. I used my first real bout of energy giving myself a well needed facial. (Sad I know). So it became my mission this week to make the bald, look beautiful. This what I came up with. 



What do you think???

A couple of friends came down to see me this weekend. It was really nice to see them. They went out on Friday night and I went over and sat with them whilst they were getting ready. My immune system is at an all time low in its cycle so unfortunately I couldn't join them on their adventures (especially to the place they were going) but I did get asked to do their eye make up...



You likey??? I love doing other people's make up, so it was a treat. My weapons of choice...



Once they were all dressed up, they walked me home and then off they went. As I lay in bed that night I couldn't help but wish I was able to go with them. One of the not so good perks of Kenneth I guess. I think I am going to have to start getting used to this sort of thing really. When I heard the stories of their night the next day I think it was probably a good thing I didn't join them! The same thing happened the next night. We had a LOVELY meal out together (even though we went super early and sat in the corner away from the general public to minimise germ potential) but then I went home and they continued their night out. Again, the stories the next day suggested I didn't miss out on much! 

As well as pampering myself, I have also been hard at work reorganising and sorting out my bedroom. You see I spend huge amounts of time in there nowadays. So I woke up on Saturday morning (when I say morning I actually mean 11.59am, I haven't been sleeping well, which is how I justified this immense lie-in to Madre) and decided it was time for a change. 

When Lucy and baby Honor came over for a cup of tea in the afternoon she took one look at me (bald head out, dressed in the opposite of my sunday best, surrounded by piles of clothes, make up, teddies, weird duck ornaments I had collected over the years, old family photos etc with a frantic look on my face) and genuinely believed I was having some sort of mental break down. I wasn't, but I can understand why she might have thought this. Anyway it turns out sorting out my room took ALOT longer than I expected. After some hard work, numerous cups of tea, spontaneous singing and dance routines (you see a hair brush is still useful to me even without hair) and bags full of rubbish I finally have a room I am happy with (for now anyway). 



And tomorrow I am going on an exciting outing to the skip or tip, whatever it is called, I seem to get it wrong regularly, maybe I should just call it the dump. Anyway I am going to use my trip to the dump (wow I do lead such a glamorous lifestyle) as a sort of milestone. Throwing away the rubbish stuff (emotions and thoughts included) and embracing the new me. 

The all singing, all dancing, bald new me. 

You see having no hair has its perks... I use a hairbrush for Karaoke, when I have a bath I can have bubbles EVERY TIME, getting ready in the morning I can just throw a hat on and I have loads of free time to do pretty Valentine's day style manicures....



Love you long time. X

Ps. To all of my secret admirers that are planning on sending me Valentines day gifts. I really like red roses, hand written poems and love songs, diamonds, shoes, designer handbags and chocolates!! And if all else fails you could always just send me some frozen peas. (See previous blog post).

7 comments:

  1. food guru11.2.13

    WOW. That top right picture on the food looks amazing. SUPER amazing. What a lucky girl you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of you sans hair but with plus de eye make up looks super amaze. Model goodlooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12.2.13

    Wish I could get my makeup that perfect...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous13.2.13

    You do chemo chic beautifully Laura. You look amazing.
    Have been following your blog and you are truly an inspiration. Left some choccies for you at David & Isobel's at the weekend. Make sure your Mum or someone else gets them for you!
    Lots of love
    Angelique x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous22.2.13

    This whole blog is amazing, you look gorgeous with no hair, not a lot of people could look that beautiful! Anyway, just came across this and thought i'd tell you what an incredible thing your doing, so thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, i've just stumbled across your blog, and can I just say, you're an incredible young lady. I've had cancer myself since the age of 5... i'm now 21, and so I totally know what you're feeling about the hair loss and stuff, I had chemo a few years ago and loosing my hair was possibly the hardest part of it (besides the feeling rubbish and going very bizarre skin colours!) ...I went from having waist length hair to absolutely nothing, in December as well so massively agree with it being totally freezing! You look beautiful, and at the end of the day, it's just a symbol of the battle you're going through...and on the upside, at least you can try out loads of fab wigs and stuff!
    Lots of love,
    Sophs xx
    The Sopho Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie, by the sounds of things you are the incredible one! Thank you for your lovely comment. Keep fighting. I will be posting lots of photos of me in fabulous wigs for you soon!
      Love you long time. X

      Delete